In this episode, Michael introduces Matt McCambridge, the co-founder, and CEO of Eden Health, a virtual primary care and navigation platform centered around care teams. Eden Health helps employees navigate today’s complicated healthcare landscape across insurance, primary care, and mental healthcare so they can make smart, well-informed and cost-conscious decisions.
Matt had a personal situation that influenced his decision to move out of the venture capital space to launching a start-up in healthcare. When Matt’s sister was sick as a kid, Matt and his family personally witnessed the broken components of the healthcare system. Now, Matt is seeing how the “coordinated care” offered by Eden Health has made a difference in the lives of patients like his sister.
Eden Health is a certified Primary Care Medical Home – the top-of-the-line quality certification in the country for primary care; this model emphasizes team-based care, communication, and coordination, which has been shown to lead to better care and why Eden has integrated specialties like behavioral health and physical therapy. The reason for including behavioral health, Matt explains, is that many other health issues are rooted in mental health conditions and these must be addressed to make meaningful progress with the patient’s health conditions.
Matt’s company is different than other in-person or virtual primary care solutions in that it is highly integrated with a core focus on eliminating the employee’s hassle as a patient. Typically, it’s very confusing for employees to figure out where to go and for what, which is why Matt believes you simply cannot separate navigation from primary care and delivery. For this reason, they have an app with the accessibility to virtually chat with a doctor 7/365, and this connection enhances the solutions offered. By leveraging technology, they’ve been able to provide their users with the appropriate instant and personalized care.
Eden Health also offers physical locations across the country for those who need it, and will even send a provider from their pool on-site to the workplace. Matt understands that the key to helping patients is engagement – and that engagement is more likely to occur if patients are receiving high-quality care through an integrated platform that they can easily use. Eden Health tracks their patients’ satisfaction with star ratings, and they proudly report an average of 4.95 out of 5 stars with a 75% response rate.
Employers can engage with Eden Health in two ways: They can either fully-cover Eden Health for unlimited access or fully-insured with a fee that is reduced when insurance is taken into account since they would be considered an in-network provider. Eden Health has an exciting road ahead as they expand into new geographies and continue to grow and serve.
Here’s a glance at what we discuss in this episode:
- 00:30 – Introducing Matt, the co-founder and CEO of Eden Health.
- 03:00 – The insights Matt received about healthcare from doing venture capital.
- 04:50 – The problems with the current primary care model.
- 10:00 – How Eden health is different from other primary care solutions.
- 13:20 – The importance of engagement that’s backed up by quality.
- 14:30 – Why behavioral health is integrated into the program.
- 17:00 – On their certification as a primary care medical home.
- 18:50 – Why it’s important that Eden Health makes 66% fewer referrals to specialists.
- 21:20 – The process behind their specialist “closed-loop referrals” and how they short-cut the patient journey.
- 24:45 – Pop-up on-site visits, permanent brick and mortar clinics, and the experience they create in the workplace.
- 27:30 – On the trusted patient-provider relationship, how it keeps patients healthy over time, and a case study.
- 32:00 – On the integration of navigation at the primary care level and the feedback they’ve received.
- 37:00 – How Eden Health partners with employers and keeps their focus on the mid-market.
- 43:00 – Some exciting things up ahead for Eden Health and who Eden Health isn’t for.
Website: Eden Health